Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Possums Strike Again!

One negative about living amongst so many beautiful trees is we have so many possums. Last year they stole my tomatoes & ate my roses. This year, they're back! Eating my new Japanese maple leaves & rose buds again!

Rose buds eaten

Japanese maple leaves eaten

Have tried a few things to deter them but nothing has worked. A fellow gardener suggested quassia wood chips. If you emerge these chips in water, the horrid bitter flavour of the chips leeches into the water & if you spray this water onto your plants, the possums will be put off by the awful taste (& it is awful, I tried it) & stop eating your precious plants. So I figured I'd give it a go.

I purchased some chips online

Little helper helped me put them into water

We let them soak in there for a while & then out we went to spray all my pot plants.

Will update if its a success or failure.

Fingers crossed!

Happy gardening

Bel

No comments:

Post a Comment